Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Choosing joy...


I had to start with a tough one. Maybe that means it will just get easier the rest of the month. And maybe, I just really need a strong lesson on finding the good, every day.

I started the day sitting in the neurologist's waiting room. Waiting is definitely the key word here. Waiting and waiting and waiting. And at the end of the exam, the doc had some unusual findings behind my optic nerve and wants me to have an MRI. A scan of my brain to see what's causing the pressure on my eye and the headaches. I suppose the joy will be finding out what's wrong, so something can be done about it.

The school called and wondered why Mitchell's lunch $ balance was so far in the negative. Ummm, well, Mitchell brings a lunch from home everyday and I had no idea he HAD a lunch $ account. All of my children have brought a lunch every day of their lives. I don't buy school lunch. I have no idea why there is anything owed on a lunch account, let alone the amount the secretary told me. Holy cow! I suppose I should find joy in knowing my son is well fed. He will find joy in handing over his allowance to pay me back. For the next several months.

Mason found joy in dumping out the game closet today. All the games with hundreds of cards. Game pieces. Dice. More cards. We found joy cleaning it up together.

Mitchell dropped an entire stack of plates while unloading the dishwasher. Shattered Corel all over the counter, the floor, in the dishwasher, in the drawers. All the new plates I just bought because we had been using plates from our wedding for the last 17 years and didn't even have enough left for the whole family. I'm still working on finding the joy in that one....

I did however, find joy in my mail today. My Simple Scrapbooks and Scrapbooks, Etc. magazines arrived today. I LOVE magazine mail days and I LOVE my scrapbook mags. We just won't mention the gas bill that was also in the box, with the little note saying they've raised rates 29.97% for residential customers...

1 comments:

Vivian said...

Oh Arla! I can totally relate to the lunch money and the toy part. Thinking of you and your day.