Friday, October 08, 2010

Dry wall art

I'm sure gesso is probably the preferred medium for canvas artists, but I'm cheap. And my amazing friend Megan taught me the technique several years ago and she always used dry wall compound. A huge bucket of dry wall at Home Depot? Under $10. A teeny weeny bottle of gesso at the art supply store? $10, and I would need at least 10 for each project.

This is the Seattle LDS Temple canvas I did for Michael for Christmas several years ago. I've shared it here before:


This is my most recent canvas. I used it for a special night at our church for my Young Women, depicting the Tree of Life. I used a Hero Arts Scroll Tree Stamp as a guide and just made it a whole lot bigger. Huge, actually.


That middle canvas? Didn't realize it wasn't true to square until I was almost through with the whole thing. Aaargh! Matthew wants to hang it in his room - I think I can hang it without it being too noticeable but it definitely doesn't work just sitting on the mantle.

9 comments:

meg said...

Well what an awesome idea! I bet that Megan girl is awesome! Live the tree...even with it not being square.

Melissa said...

Beautiful art!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous :) Looking forward to the tutorial (subtle, eh?) ;)

Gloria said...

Wow, those are amazing, you´re very talented. I especially love the tree one, just perfect. A tutorial would be amazing;) TFS, have a great weekend

Valerie said...

What incredible projects - love your creative use of this material which I will be definitely checking out next time I'm at Home Depot!
I think the off-squarenss of the center canvas adds a little extra rustic charm - I like it!

milkcan said...

I kind of like that it's not perfect!

Lisa said...

You are stunning and so is your art. What a beautiful family you have and come from too! I'm just grateful I get to tag along for the ride, even if it IS just by marriage!!

Glynis said...

Those art pieces are amazing! You are very talented and I'm so glad I stopped by :O)

Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

This is so beautiful! Hubs and I were married 13 years ago in the Seattle temple over Thanksgiving weekend. Your canvas is stunning and brought back so many great memories. Simply wonderful!